Friday, December 2, 2011

Ides of March - Liveblog/Review

So I decided to take notes during my vision of the Ides of March and here's what came of it, I edited it afterwards to make it a more readable review out of it. Also Evan was on screen so don't mind the gushing...I know you don't.

If you haven't seen the movie there may be some minor spoilers so stop here if you don't want to know anything beforehand


First scene with Evan, just 4 minutes into the movie…ok this is distracting, how is she walking? bouncy evan, wait no, clooney is talking in the background, I totally missed that, let me rewind…it's gonna be a long movie


Clooney, Giamatti, Hoffman, Gosling, Marisa Tomei all in a few seconds…I don't know where to look

"Mike Morris is a politician, he's a nice guy, they're all nice guys, he will let you down sooner or later."

I love the dialogues in this movie, they're witty and brilliant, not really common to find in movies lately. I read that some journalists compared them with the West Wing style, I don't think they're anything close to the Sorkinesque magnificence of some episodes (yeah I am a huge Aaron Sorkin fan) but they can really keep the scene alive and interesting.

And here's the conversation between Molly and Steve that's been used as promotional snippet in every talk show appearance…I'd have to say that seeing it full length is magnetizing and there's something in Evan's voice at the end when she says "My name's Molly"…I'll never get tired to hear it
And Gosling in this scene is way cuter than a puppy


Anybody else noticed how Evan blends splendidly with the other interns? she's often in the background in the beginning scenes and you wouldn't notice her…if it wasn't Evan.

Oh the conversation in the bar…oh the sexual tension…oh after sex evan with a man shirt.


want George Clooney as President too.

Oh the creepiness of the sex scene with Clooney on the background…"It's not you" lol ok, that was too cute.

The situation is getting tense now…no Evan don't cry.


I don't want Clooney as President anymore

Then I was too sucked in the movie to take live notes anymore…

On a more serious note, I know everyone said it but I'll say it again: the acting in this movie is so good!
Hoffman and Giamatti are in their perfect roles, Clooney is a very believable candidate president and Gosling plays every side of his character with such intensity that can span from the "cuter than a puppy" scene to the final one, in which the disillusion and knowledge of what he did and probably will have to do in order to keep doing politics can be seen in just a shot of his motionless face…and it is quite scary.

Though Evan has a smaller part she's quite the important character in the movie and she has a way to effortlessly play it (beginning bouncy walk aside).
I really liked the dramatic scene but I enjoyed more the lighter dialogues at the beginning, she really is great with comedic material and the world needs more Evan smiling.

So in the end the movie is about how politics basically suck and even if some things may seem perfect from the outside (I imagine Clooney and Gosling would be the dream of every look manager for the democratic party) they are as much as corrupted on the inside. Not really a movie one would like to see in these times of crises and social emergencies but I think it portrays a very likely vision, if not of the specific facts, of the way of thinking of politics people.

Did you see the movie? what did you think about it? what is your favorite quote?

3 comments:

  1. OK.here is my review)

    I saw the movie at home over the internet. i`d love to see it on a big screen but it comes out February 14th here in Russia:( i couldn`t wait any longer so i found the movie in English. i hope i understood everything correctly)English is not my native language...
    i loved the movie!it was so intense!i am not really into politics but the movie is much more than that. i was mostly impressed by Gosling.i love him)his acting was brilliant.as usual:))Gosling,Clooney and all of the others were great but i wanted to see the movie because of Evan)her part was smaller than i expected but very important.do i have to say that she was amazing?!well of course she was!i liked her character,Molly ,so her death was so heartbreaking that it brought me to tears;( btw i didn`t really understand why she did that?did she do that herself??
    i agree that the conversation in the bar scene,the sexual tension and after sex evan with a man shirt scene were awesome!i saw those scenes few times))i`d like so see more Evan in the movie but still it was ok. she did very good job.
    Speaking of 'My name`s Molly' scene i have to say that there is definetely something about her voice and facial expression. i`ll never get tired of watching that scene too!
    'The Ides Of March' is a good movie. worth watching.i highly recommend it to everybody!
    Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! glad you saw the movie, international release dates can be a pain sometimes :)
    anyway, to answer to your question, Evan's character kills herself because she thinks that Steven is going to tell everyone she was pregnant with the governor's child and she had an abortion. She couldn't stand to be put in the public eye like that because she says she's from a very catholic family that wouldn't understand or support the act and her decision. I don't think Steven really wanted to out her but he sure wanted to use this information to blackmail the governor as in fact he did in the end.
    Now I want to see it again....
    I read in some interview that in the beginning there are some scenes where you can actually see some eye contact between George and Evan's character as a hint at the future developing of the story, of course I didn't notice anything the first time I watched it because I didn't know what to look for...that's why a rewatch is in order...very soon. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melody! Thank you for the explanation!actually i did understand that Molly was pregnant with governor`s child,had an abortin and didn`t want it to be revealed.i just didn`t think it was a reason to kill herself!i mean suicide is such an awful thing to commit...so desperate..i wish Molly could find another way but in that case it would be another story..
    now after you told me about the hints i am definetely going to rewatch the movie too!cause i didn`t notice anything.i was looking more at Molly and Steve waiting for their love affair)

    ReplyDelete